Homemade Charcoal Toothpaste for Whitening, Gum Health, and Fresh Breath!

**Make sure you don't miss anything from Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Healthiness! Stay informed with LLPH's newsletter. Get it delivered straight to your inbox by clicking HERE.**

toothpaste

For quite a while now I have been experimenting with finding a perfect toothpaste. I made one that made me gag, found one I loved but can’t afford, Tom’s has sodium lauryl sulfate and other evil ingredients, and so on.

My dear friend told me that her son’s oral problem was helped in an amazing way by applying charcoal topically. That’s great news because teeth/gum problems are no fun at all.

I have two teeth specifically that hate me. One that I lovingly refer to as my vampire tooth, and the other that is my middle bottom tooth.

For the most part my oral health is pretty good except for these two troublemakers. I had x-rays taken of these teeth and found out that these two teeth are the only teeth in my mouth that have stunted growth. I’m not drawing any definite conclusions but it could possibly be from wearing braces twice while my mouth and teeth were growing.  In any case, I’ve gotta do something about it.

Yes, I could get my gums grafted. And it’s probably a naive, immature decision not to. However, going under anesthesia and cutting gum from the roof of my mouth to sew on to these teeth just sounds like plain ol’ something I do NOT want to do!

I’m no dentist mind you, but how is putting some flesh over my tooth really going to solve the problem anyway?

That is not a rhetorical question, by the way. If you are a dentist of in the field of dentistry, I urge you to convince me.

Here’s some pictures so you can know what we’re dealing with here ;)

topteeth

Vampire tooth.

bottomteeth

Special bottom tooth.

Is it weird that I just showed you pictures of my teeth?

Consider them ‘before’ pictures!

Now, I’m not expecting my gum to magically re-grow over my teeth. All I want is for the gum on the bottom tooth to re-attach itself. And I want my teeth not to crumble and fall out.

Enter, my non-irritating, homemade charcoal toothpaste for sensitive teeth!

You will need:

- 840 mg Activated Charcoal. I used 3) 280 mg capsules and dumped out the contents.

- 1 tsp. melted coconut oil

- 1 T Baking soda

- 40 drops peppermint essential oil

Directions:

1. Mix together the activated charcoal and baking soda.

2. Add the 40 drops of peppermint essential oil.

3. Pour in the melted coconut oil.

4. Mix well. It should be a thick paste.

This recipe is really all inclusive! Nothing here is irritating to the gums, charcoal has been used to remineralize teeth, pull toxins out, and WHITEN them (bonus!!) as it is very abrasive on particles and cleans well. Plus it leaves your mouth minty fresh! What more could you ask for?

Fair warning #1) This toothpaste will make your bathroom sink a bit charcoal-ey so be prepared to have to clean up a bit after brushing.

Fair warning #2) This recipe only made a few ounces of paste. For a larger amount, double or triple the recipe.

Have you had success healing receeding gums or other oral health problems? What helped you? Tell me below!

This post is part of Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways!

Related Articles:

Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.

Lifelibertyhealthiness.com offers information for informational and educational purposes only. The information on this site is not a substitute for, nor does it replace, professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always consult with your physician or other qualified health-care professional or educational consultant for questions about the health and education or your, your child, and family members. Do not disregard, avoid or delay obtaining medical or health related advice from your health-care professional because of something you have read on Lifelibertyhealthiness.com!

More posts you'll like! :

18 Thoughts on “Homemade Charcoal Toothpaste for Whitening, Gum Health, and Fresh Breath!

1. Lydia on 000 at 2:14 am said:

I am always looking for a good DIY toothpaste; I’m going to pin this one to try. I have very sensitive teeth and the only thing I have made that helps is a calcium-based tooth powder. 4 tsp very finely ground calcium powder (I crush tablets in my mortar and pestle for 30 minutes or so), 2 tsp baking soda (add to the calcium and grind for another 5-10 minutes), 1 tsp castile soap, a few drops essential oil and a stevia packet for taste. I know it sounds like a lot of work to do it by hand, but I really don’t want anything too abrasive and I can stop and check the consistency often this way, by rubbing the powder between my fingers.

2. karli on 000 at 9:38 pm said:

hi I have receding gum lines on all my teeth. just like you I turned down the skin grafting thing and decided to try a healthier approach:) I use OraWellness Blend with the Bass Brushing Technique. If you go to OraWellness’s website you can find out all the info; but my teeth are no longer sensitive. I have improved gum color and am very optimistic that my gums are healing. :) yah!

and just for something different I use Earthpaste like once or twice a week. its a lot more like a “toothpaste” ie: the OraWellness blend is an essential oil blend in a carrier oil of almond oil:)

3. Jenny Pennock on 000 at 11:57 am said:

I was wondering if this is something that could be used everyday or if its only a couple times a week for being too abrasive? It’s sounds awesome. And I like seeing so much peppermint oil. It always seems homemade toothpaste recipes don’t have enough peppermint to leave a fresh mouth. At least the ones I’ve seen. Thanks for sharing!

• admin on 000 at 5:39 pm said:

Yes, that was my problem too! I like it to be really minty fresh!
      This is definitely something you could use everyday especially if you are trying to heal an oral health problems. Charcoal is very gentle. I do believe there are mixed opinions on whether or not baking soda is abrasive. I tend to lean toward the idea that it is not and totally okay to use daily–even beneficial!

4. Sharon Taylor on 000 at 5:12 pm said:

Hi, love you site! I had the snaggle tooth on the bottom just like yours. I had it fixed with a simple snip….youch I know…if that piece of skin that connects the lip to the gum in the middle. You see it when you pull your bottom lip out and down. It was to tight and kept pulling my gum down like yours. Never had an issue after that! No stitches and minimal healing time.

• admin on 000 at 5:41 pm said:

Thank you Sharon!
      I am so grateful you mentioned that! My dentist mentioned it but I wasn’t sure if that would REALLY cause it. It’s nice to know that it really worked for you to have it snipped. I would much rather have a snip than a gum graft you know what I mean??

5. patty cummings on 000 at 7:04 pm said:

you have beautiful healthy looking teeth so dont mess with the oral surgery. For tooth & gum problems I have used powdered white oak bark made into little balls with distilled water. Let them dry & insert between cheek & gum & let stay for as long as you can. It brings the blood to the area for quick healing, astringent, and antiseptic.

6. Denise on 000 at 7:49 pm said:

I am so trying this! Thanks so much for posting. I’ve been using activated charcoal occasionally to get my teeth white and remove stains but I love the idea of incorporating it into the coconut oil for a daily toothpaste. Can’t wait to give it a try.

7. Alicia on 000 at 10:12 pm said:

I made and have been using for about 3 weeks now the tooth soap on Mommypotomus’ blog. I had a couple of black spots on my teeth that the dentist said would need to be drilled and filled soon. After a week and a half of using the tooth soap, the black spots have disappeared. It is really weird to me that it actually worked because there is raw honey in it and although I know honey has a lot of healing goodness to it, it is still a saccharide. I have receding gums on some of my teeth but since using the tooth soap, I don’t have sensitivity to hot and cold anymore. Here is a link to the recipe. I think I will add baking soda to it the next time I make it and maybe even some activated charcoal!

8. Sonia on 000 at 10:54 pm said:

THE best thing I ever did for my teeth and gums was start taking CoQ10. My dentist was shocked at the rapid improvement. At about $5-10 a month it’s the best dental insurance around – no,lower cost and less or no pain.

CoQ10 for periodontal disease

9. Jeanette on 000 at 11:28 am said:

I had the gum grafts done. No general anesthesia required, but it did not last more than 1.5 years before receding back to where they were.

• admin on 000 at 10:40 pm said:

Wow. Thank you for sharing. See that leads me back to my original question…how is grafting going to FIX the problem. What does your dentist say about them going back?

• Jill on 000 at 1:23 am said:

Hi! I have been a Registered Dental Hygienist for 15 years. I just came across this post, so I have no idea how long ago this thread began. In answer to your question, gum tissue does not ever grow back. It’s called recession. If your doctor spoke to you about having a Frenectomy, I would strongly suggest it. It really is a simple procedure with minimal downtime, but the life time effects of having it done are priceless. That strong tissue cord (like any other cord) will only continue to pull and destruct. I see it every day. Good Luck!

10. Heather Overholtzer on 000 at 2:57 am said:

Anyone with dry mouth have experience with this recipe? Does it dry out your mouth, hydrate it, or neither?
    Thanks!

11. alexis on 000 at 8:12 pm said:

How long does it normally last? Does it ever go bad and you throw it away?

12. I read a lot of interesting articles here. Probably you
    spend a lot of time writing, i know how to save you a lot of time,
    there is an online tool that creates unique, google friendly articles in seconds, just type in google – laranitas free content source

13. Darlene on 000 at 9:42 am said:

Hello! This post has been very helpful to our group since we are gonna use this as the subject of our research study. Thanks a lot! I just want to know if the charcoal toothpaste could be used for 2 weeks straight. If not, why?

14. Every weekend i used to visit this web page, because i wish for enjoyment, since
    this this web page conations in fact good funny information too.