Ahhhhh summer is just about here….I can taste it! Literally! The cherries at the store the other day were absolutely DELICIOUS.
So, I’m gonna be totally honest here. I totally stole this idea from Burgerville. They have a new BBQ pulled pork sandwich out for summer that has cherry slaw on it.
I thought it was a genius idea. I looked up the ingredients online.
While Burgerville is known for locally sourced ingredients (yes, even Portland’s fast food restaurants put a bird on it) and humanely raised natural beef, pork, and poultry, they still had some questionable ingredients in their cherry slaw. Such as Sodium Benzoate and other icky preservatives. Oh, and nasty PUFA oils too.
I ate it anyway. And loved it. Don’t hate.
Thus, I present to you: REAL FOOD Summer Cherry Slaw!
This recipe serves about 10 and would be a great potluck or BBQ dish.
For the salad you will need:
1/2 head of a small/medium sized green cabbage
1/4 head of a small/medium sized red cabbage
2 cups of cherries, pitted, and cut into fourths
For the dressing you will need:
1 cup homemade mayo–get the recipe here.
1/2 cup sour cream
4 T red wine vinegar (adjust this to taste…should have a slightly tart flavor when all is said and done.)
3 T sweetener of your choice– I used organic unrefined sugar
sea salt to taste
pepper to taste
1. Shred the cabbage and carrots by hand or using your food processor. Add to large bowl.
2. Chop the onions finely and add to cabbage and carrots.
3. Pit and slice cherries into fourths. add to cabbage, carrots, and onion.
4. For the dressing use a whisk and a mixing bowl. Add all ingredients into bowl and whisk vigorously.
5. Taste to make sure all flavors are as they should be and to your liking. Adjust accordingly.
6. Add dressing to vegetables and mix thoroughly.
7. Enjoy! Happy Summer!
This post is part of: