Homemade Coconut and Olive Oil Mayonnaise

**Make sure you don't miss anything from Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Healthiness! Stay informed with LLPH's newsletter. Get it delivered straight to your inbox by clicking HERE.**

mayo

Mayo. It’s gonna get you sooner or later.

You’re going to have a real food recipe that require mayonnaise and then desperately seek out any and all mayonnaise at the store without canola, safflower, or soybean oil.

Then, you will pull your hair out because such a thing does not exist.

I’m sorry, I really am. From the bottom of my heart.

The good news is, you can make your own. Don’t let anyone tell you it’s too hard. You can do it! I’ve never had my mayonnaise not work out. So I’m convinced that all those people that who homemade mayo is hard to make are just lying.

Before you get started here are a few tips to remember along the way:

-Pour the oil SLOWLY. Like drip by drip or a tiny tiny stream. You will feel like you have ants in your pants because it might take a little while to pour all the oil in but it will be so worth it.

-Use a food processor, immersion blender, or handheld blender. If you’re really good you could probably be super bada$$ and use a whisk but I don’t recommend it the first time.

-Make sure your oil is tepid. Not hot and not cold.

Okay are you ready to embark on your mayo adventure? HERE WE GO!!!

For approximately a pint of mayo, you will need:

2 egg yolks- preferably pastured, soy-free, non-gmo fed.

1 whole egg, again pastured, soy-free, and non-gmo fed.

2-3 cups of oil– I use 2 cups of coconut oil and 1 cup of olive oil

1 T ground mustard. (a lot of recipes use actual mustard but I like to use the seasoning)

4 T  freshly squeezed lemon juice

sea salt to taste

pepper to taste

3 T Whey (optional)- if you don’t know how to make whey, see my post here on How to Make Whey and Cream Cheese the Old Fashioned Way.

You will notice that this recipe uses more oil than most recipes.

That’s because Julia Child says that one egg yolk should be able to hold a cup of oil.

So, that’s why we’re usin’ 3 cups, folks! This ain’t no sissy mayo recipe!

Directions:

1. Blend eggs, lemon juice, mustard, salt, and pepper.

2. Add in oil while your food processor (or appliance of choice) is running. SLOWLY. SLOOOWWWWWLYYYYYY.

3. Blend until stiffened. This should happen hopefully by the time you are on your last cup of oil.

4. Taste. Add more salt and pepper if desired.

5. Optional- add whey and leave out over night. Put your mayo in the fridge the next day. The whey will extend it’s refrigerator life and add a bit of lacto-fermentation.

Bon Appetit!

This post is part of:

Real Food Wednesday from Kelly the Kitchen Kop

Party Wave Wednesday from Holistic Squid

Gluten Free Wednesday from Gluten Free Home-making

Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways from Frugally Sustainable

Related Articles:

Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.

Lifelibertyhealthiness.com offers information for informational and educational purposes only. The information on this site is not a substitute for, nor does it replace, professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always consult with your physician or other qualified health-care professional or educational consultant for questions about the health and education or your, your child, and family members. Do not disregard, avoid or delay obtaining medical or health related advice from your health-care professional because of something you have read on Lifelibertyhealthiness.com!

More posts you'll like! :

23 Thoughts on “Homemade Coconut and Olive Oil Mayonnaise

1. Katerina on 000 at 7:01 pm said:

How much whey do you use for this recipe???

• admin on 000 at 4:49 pm said:

oops, sorry Katerina! Thank you for asking. I use 3 T. Just updated the post to specify.

2. Hi Olivia,
    I just found your blog on VGN and your mayo recipe sounds really tasty. I will share the recipe. Have a wonderful week!

• admin on 000 at 3:50 am said:

Thank you so much Shelley! I love your blog and recipes! will definitely be sharing! :)

3. Jod on 000 at 12:26 am said:

How long will this keep?

4. Rinda on 000 at 12:36 am said:

Thanks for posting your recipe. I have a question for you. My coconut oil is solid. Can I still use it in your recipe?

5. Maritza Gonzalez on 000 at 12:56 am said:

Mayonnaise was the first thing I made for home Economics when I was in HS, I add red bell peppers, yummy :)

• admin on 000 at 3:49 am said:

that is a great idea!! Sounds delicious. I never took home ec. Isn’t that ridiculous??

6. Jill on 000 at 2:13 am said:

Question: Coconut oil I’ve used is a soft-solid unless it’s warmed, so…do you warm it just until it’s pourable? Also, I’m not a fan of the taste of olive oil in some of the recipes I’ve tried. Is there another oil that’s ok to use? I’ve used grapeseed oil before, but anything neutral (and of course non-GMO) sounds worth trying. Thanks!

• admin on 000 at 3:35 am said:

Yes, just heat it very slowly and use while it is tepid. I would’t use grapeseed oil as it is ultra-processed and contains PUFA much like canola, soybean, and other vegetable oils. Maybe try walnut oil. Or you could use all coconut oil!

7. I tried this not too long ago. Wasted precious eggs and expensive coconut oil. Maybe need to put on my big girl pants and try again. I had some whey today from making goat cheese, but it smelled like a goat, so I dumped it. So, what is the consistency like after refrigeration! You know, with coconut oil getting hard and all?

• admin on 000 at 3:37 am said:

You know, I worried that it would get all weird in the fridge after the coconut oil hardens but its totally fine! The mixture holds great even seeing that coconut oil is a solid at room temp. You should totally try it again! And pour SLOWLY.

8. Renee on 000 at 2:17 am said:

This sounds great! Can I assume that is 4 T lemon juice, not 4 cups?

9. Sylvia on 000 at 3:23 am said:

Recipe looks great! How long does it keep in the fridge? How much longer with the whey? Thanks!

• admin on 000 at 3:41 am said:

It will only keep a couple of weeks without the whey. Adding whey will allow it to keep for a few months depending on how active the lacto-fermentation was.

10. Lori on 000 at 3:30 am said:

the recipe says 4 T cup lemon juice. Is it 4 T and the word “cup” is a typo? Could you please email me a response? Also, I am new to using coconut oil. So, do you melt the oil over heat before making this? If so, do you have to cool off the oil before making the recipe? Also, in warm weather, should you refrigerate your coconut oil or is it okay to use it after it liquifies because of the heat. Thank you for your response and for posting this recipe. Lori

• admin on 000 at 3:48 am said:

Sorry!! It was supposed to say T. It’s 4 T. I changed it. Yes, melt the oil over heat very slowly and use the oil when it is tepid. Totally okay to use it when it’s been sitting out in warm weather! Same diff! Coconut oil is interesting as it melts at 78 degrees so if it’s hot where you are that should do the trick.
      Thank you for your questions and comment! Hope you enjoy the mayo!

11. I have never “pasteurized” an egg yolk or an egg. Can you give us directions on how to do that?

• admin on 000 at 8:30 pm said:

I would never think of doing such a thing. Lol! Why do you need to pasteurize an egg?